Another comment on the conscience

I made a post earlier asking why the conscience becomes seared, and I had some more thoughts about that.

I simply cannot understand this mechanism of the conscience from a religious perspective. If God wants us to sin less (or not at all), then it would make sense that the conscience would warn us more the further down the road we go into sin, as the punishment gets worse after every sin.

But it doesn't, it does the opposite. It's like the conscience rewards those who follow it, but punishes those who disobey it by its absence, from a moral perspective. So those who disobey their conscience will commit more sinful acts easier, rather than receiving moral help from the conscience when they really need it. So that they would turn around and be more righteous in their behaviour, which would be better for their soul. Am I making any sense?

From a natural biological perspective I can understand the conscience. During periods of great suffering like in war or famine, people may have to do horrible things to survive. Doing these things can be traumatic psychologically and perhaps a seared conscience is a self-defence mechanism of the mind. It becomes like that so that the person can still function without becoming mentally paralyzed due to the psychological trauma. It's like to the brain and flesh it is more important to physically survive than to be morally upright. Is that part of sin nature or what? I don't know.

Support my work

Did you find this post informative or enjoyable? Consider supporting my work here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I became a hikikomori and later a hermit

Why I no longer believe in Christianity

Life has a purpose, but seems to lack objective meaning

Why I have become a doomer and been blackpilled

From agnostic to Christian to monotheist (leaving the door open for Jesus)